Monday 2 November 2009

Silent Thrill

Sorry I have not blogged in a little while, I have had a lot going on recently and, in all honesty, have not felt like writing. I am a bit confused right now but, I am sure putting some ideas down would be very therapeutic.

So, if you had not noticed, the last weekend past coincided with annual ‘All Hallows Eve’. Much like other ‘holidays’ such as Christmas and Easter, Halloween means something different to you at different stages throughout life. Ironically, this change is also mirrored on a scale of how ridiculous you look in a costume the older you get. But I digress…

This Halloween I decided to stay in, turn the lights down, relax and watch a Horror film. Now if you know me you could testify that I really do enjoy a good film and can be critical when I find a film below-par. Therefore, it was imperative that I watched a film fitting of the evening. Alas, being partial to this genre all year round, there were very few Horror films that fit into my idea of an ‘suitable’ Halloween night movie. This frustration can be illustrated by the Venn diagram below:


Couple this with location related limitations (I was in Nottingham at the time) and financial/time restraints placed upon me, as well as my company that night, I was in a metaphorical pickle.


Truth be told, I am not easily led to be frightened by Horror film. In fact I do feel a little jealous of those who do, those who are able to freely abandon their concept of reality and dive deep into the belief that the ‘axe-wielding murderer who only appears on that one night per year’ is a feasible concept to be worried/scared about, erstwhile knowing that you are still ultimately watching a film created for entertainment purposes. This made me think; ‘when was the last time I was truly on edge, truly petrified at the horror genre?’

And then it hit me. And it wasn’t a film.



Silent Hill 2, the game, scared the beejezus out of me. It had everything: a fantastic, slowly unfolding, yet deeply involving plot; characters immaculately developed and equally horrific; and an ultimate twist which would not be out of place on a perfect Horror film script. If you had not experienced this game, and are able to do so, I implore you to try and see for yourself.

With this in mind I decided to watch the celluloid equivalent of the game ‘Silent Hill: The Movie’ directed by Christophe Gans. Sadly, much like when you read a novel which has been ‘re-imagined’ onto the big screen, I was left feeling let down at what could have been. Yes, there was the trademark eerie fog coating the city (which originally was put in the game due to the developers limited graphic capabilities) but everything else, just lacked. The plot, the characters, the twist: removed.

If you have seen this film, go and play the game. Then you will see what you have really missed. You will be horrified.

ps. alternative Titles considered for this post: 'Silent (but Violent) Hill', 'Silent Hil-arity'

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, all the silent hill games are terrifying. The high level of narrative that runs throughout this franchise is something that is rarely apparent in modern gaming. Most games follow the "there are some bad guys who you must shoot" format, often under the guise of a major world conflict which is insulting to both war veterans and intelligent gamers alike. But Silent Hill focuses on the atmosphere; genuinely worrying blood stains on walls, abandoned wheelchairs, and strange tortured characters with truely upsetting backstories.
    The premise and plot would have made a wonderful tense thriller, but as usual, Hollywood foregoes atmosphere in favour of gore and things that go bump in the night.

    I like your site by the way. Feel free to come over to mine and check out my ramblings. -x-

    ReplyDelete